Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fresh Bread and Lent

I love bread. One of my earliest memories is of Mom letting us kids take turns "punching" the rising dough, then breaking off a piece so that we could each make our own bread. Sometimes my siblings and I would take some raisins, stuff them inside a blob of bread dough, and slide a (clean) stick through the top of the blob. We called these creations "wasp nests". I guess that's to be expected for kids who grew up in the jungle.

After we moved out of the jungle and into town, Mom would give me money to run out and meet the bread man as he walked the neighborhood pushing his cart. I loved hearing the bells on the cart handles ring but when he took the lid off the breadbox - that was magic. The smell of freshly baked buns and rolls would envelope me as I leaned over to point out what we wanted.

I also love Lent. By the simple act of stepping outside our comfort zones, we create room for discovery. I think of the historical period of Lent, when Jesus was inexorably moving toward Jerusalem and his followers could tell that something amazing was going to happen. The politically-minded among them might have been itching for Jesus' rebellion against Rome. Those more theologically inclined might have planned flyers for the Big Temple Revival.

Whatever their expectations, Jesus stepped outside their comfort zone. No rebellion, no takeover of the temple. In fact, none of the familiar trappings that they had grown up expecting from the Messiah.

He took them down a completely different road, one of loss and redemption. He shook the foundation of their world and changed the shape of ours.

So this Lenten season, I've decided to give up bread. Not because of the traditional symbolisms it holds of life, sustenance, or abundance. I'm giving it up because it has always been a normal, comfortable part of my life, and for these next few weeks it's time to step out of my comfort zone and walk a road of discovery.

I'm just hoping that the road doesn't lead me past bread carts with bells or wasp nests stuffed with raisins.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh... I thought you were going to give up pre-made bread and only bake your own. This is much harder. I know you can do it!
    (Now, does this extend to all bread like things? Cookies, tortillas, etc.? Or just bread bread?)

    ReplyDelete