Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Waddling through life

Goofy Pooch and I took our usual 2-block waddle this evening. She's old, arthritic, and easily distracted, and basically just meanders beside the sidewalk while I try to keep her moving with encouraging little comments like, "You already sniffed that", and "Watch out for the...never mind".

Goofy Pooch is also the most friendly, eccentric dog I've ever met. She has been known to carry a pet rabbit around in her mouth, which was almost as funny as later watching the rabbit try to get the dog slobber off its fur. The only time she ever harmed another animal was when she tried to carry one of the boys' hamsters around in her mouth as well. The poor little thing died of fright. GP was horrified and a little afraid of hamsters after that.

Tonight, on our waddle down to the pond and back, we met our across-the-alley neighbor and her rescued puppy. The puppy is a mastiff mix of some sort and stands a couple of inches taller than my geriatric dog. GP and the puppy circled each other, sniffing and exchanging other doggy pleasantries. All of a sudden, the younger dog - being an unfixed male - decided to get a little too friendly. In one fluid movement, my senior canine's hackles raised, she snarled ferociously and she sat down on my feet.

The overgrown puppy backed off, confused. After a moment, Goofy Pooch gave him a gentle little "woof". When it was clear he was going to behave, she left the comfort of my feet and resumed doggy-talk. All was well.

As we continued our waddle home, I found myself thinking about the wisdom in that exchange. No grudges, no lectures. An unequivocal response when boundaries were crossed, followed by full restoration of friendship with no strings attached.

When I grow up, I think I'd like to be more like my Goofy Pooch, waddling through life so willing to believe in redemptive grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment